The Importance of Pool Safety Texas
Texas had at least nine media-reported fatal drownings in the month of August according to new data from the USA Swimming Foundation. Sadly, this same data show that Pool Safety Texas not only had the highest drowning rate in the month of August, but also for the entire year, with at least 35 drownings involving children younger than 6.
The majority of these incidents occurred at a home or an apartment pool, reiterating the need for constant supervision any time a child is in or around water. If you are a parent or caregiver, please check out the crucial safety steps to follow at public and residential pools and spas on our website. While you’re there, review the Kid’s Corner too, which has both print and digital resources to make learning about water safety fun and educational.
Finally, talk as a family about water safety with your kids and take the Pool Safely Pledge because, together, we can #stopdrowning. One minute is all you need to take the pledge to make sure your family is safer around water this year. Adult and child versions are available.
I pledge that I will…
- Designate a water watcher every single time children in my care are in or near the water.
- Make sure my kids know how to swim.
- As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
- Always remove portable pool ladders when not in use.
- Ensure all permanent pools have a proper fence and gate and safer drain covers.
Shared with permission from Pool Safely