The CPSC Pool Safely Campaign
Katchakid is Proud to Partner with CPSC’s Pool Safely Campaign
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) created Pool Safely: Simple Steps Save Lives, a national public education campaign to reduce childhood drowning, non-fatal submersions and entrapments in public swimming pools and spas. The campaign carries out the requirements of the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act (P&SS Act), federal legislation mandating new requirements for public pools and spas, including a public information campaign. Pool Safely is designed to raise public awareness, promote industry compliance and improve safety at pools and spas. Learn more at: Pool Safely Campaign
The Water Watcher Card
The Water Watcher Card is an extremely simple but effective drowning prevention tool. The card not only identifies the designated adult for watching the water but serves as a physical reminder of their responsibility. Watchers agree to avoid conversations and distractions that may take their attention away from the children in the water. Use for the supervision of children around water and at areas where swimming occurs.
Rules for the the Designated Water Watcher:
- I will watch the children in the pool and never leave them unattended.
- I will regularly scan the bottom of the pool.
- I will avoid poolside chats and talking on the phone.
- I will keep a phone at the pool for emergency use only and know the address of the pool I am guarding.
- I will call 911 and follow advice to administer CPR if necessary.
- I will locate and learn to use all pool safety equipment.
What We Can All Do
- Support efforts in your state to pass legislation to establish basic safety requirements for all swimming areas both public and private.
- Learn CPR and Rescue skills. Support the inclusion of CPR training in school.
- Let family and friends know that drowning is preventable.